- Theorytest.ie Home
- DTT Home
- Study Material
- Test Centre Locations
- Testing Experience
- Test Types & Certification
- ID Requirements
- How to Book/Online Booking
- RSA Approved Driving Instructors - ADI (opens new window)
Driver Theory Test (learner permit categories)
A new version of Driver Theory Test came into effect on 24th October 2011.
Please note to prepare for the new and revised DTT exam we recommend you study of the Official Driver Theory Test Questions and Answers - 5th Edition, October 2011 and Interactive CD-ROM which contain all the questions used in the test. click here for full details
A computer based Driver Theory Test was introduced in Ireland in 2001. By law before applying for a Learner Permit, candidates must complete and pass a test of their general road safety knowledge and motoring legislation. This covers areas such as:
- The rules of the road
- Risk perception
- Hazard awareness
- Good driving behaviour
Study Material can be purchased on-line or our from a Customer Service Representative when booking your test or at a reputable book shop.
The test is offered in both Irish and English and candidates with special requirements can be accommodated.
Note: A theory test certificate must be obtained before a learner permit for your chosen vehicle category is granted
Additional Theory Test categories have been added since 2001:
- ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) - November 2007
- Driver CPC (Certificate in Professional Competency) for Professional Bus / Truck drivers
- Click here for a list of RSA Approved Driving Instructors - ADI (opens new window)