Understand and book your official RSA Theory Test
ADI - Approved Driving Instructor
About the ADI Theory Test
The RSA have implemented a qualification process for anyone wishing to become a driving instructor: those who meet the required standards will gain an ADI qualification.
The ADI Theory Test forms stage one of a three-stage qualification process, which is followed by the Driving Test and Instruction Ability Test.
You must have registered for your test(s) with the RSA prior to scheduling your ADI Theory Test to be issued a unique eligibility number, which is required for the ADI Theory Test booking process. If you have not done so, please contact the RSA ADI Unit.
Two simple steps to book your ADI Theory Test
Please be advised that it is your responsibility to book the correct Theory Test category as this cannot be changed at the Test Centre or when sitting your Test remotely.
Additional Theory Test Categories
- Driver Theory Test – Car, Bike, Bus or Truck
- Driver CPC Theory Test (Certificate in Professional Competency) for professional bus and truck drivers
- ESDS Theory Test for Emergency Services Workers
Test Centre Locations
There are over forty Driver Theory Test locations throughout the Republic of Ireland. You can choose a Test Centre that is most convenient to you. There is also an option to sit your Test remotely.
Please note that available appointment times may vary between Test Centres – you will be able to select your Test Centre and view its current appointment times at the online booking service.
See a full list of test centre locations and addresses: DTT Test Centre Location Map (PDF, 3mb).
- Public Services Card (with photograph)
- Passports (valid for international use only or up to maximum 12 months expired)
- Irish Passport Cards (valid for international use, not expired and in good condition)
- National Identity Card from EU/EEA Member States or Switzerland
- Irish Category B (Car) or Category A (Motorcycle) Learner Permit or Full Driving Licence (valid for use, not expired and in good condition)
Identification PolicyIf you do not bring the required identity identification with you, or you are late for your appointment, you will not be allowed to sit your test and you will lose your fee. Residency entitlement requirement to apply for a learner permit or driving licence: You must be able to prove that you are a national of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland or have leave to remain in Ireland to be eligible to apply for a learner permit or driving licence. Please read the full list of documents which can be accepted as evidence of residency entitlement to apply for a learner permit or driving licence.
- Ensure you follow the instructions clearly when entering your details during the booking process.
- You must ensure you use your full name as displayed on your Identification when making your booking.
- Spelling of the name on the identification with which you book your test must match the spelling of your name on the Identification exactly that you will present at the test centre.
- All candidates must present their Identification with some test categories requiring additional ID, please see Step 2: Check ID Requirements above.
- Should you require Assistance or language facility options please refer to our Test Day Assistance/Support section.
- Please Note: Candidates must schedule their exam using an Irish address. Candidates who have scheduled their exam using an address outside of the Republic of Ireland will not be allowed to test and will lose their fee.
Once you have carefully read through the steps required to schedule your ADI Theory Test, you may proceed to complete your booking in real time and receive immediate on-screen and email/letter confirmation.
Residency entitlement requirement to apply for a learner permit or driving licence:
You must be able to prove that you are a national of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland or have leave to remain in Ireland to be eligible to apply for a learner permit or driving licence.
Please read the full list of documents which can be accepted as evidence of residency entitlement to apply for a learner permit or driving licence.
What are the costs?
|Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) Exam Name||Test Fee|