The official RSA Theory Test
ESDS - Emergency Services Driving Standard
About the ESDS Theory Test
ESDS stands for Emergency Services Driving Standard – a driving standard for Emergency services drivers.
It is open to nominated emergency services drivers who work for the following organisations which form the ESDS Panel (who were involved in the development of the standard):
- An Garda Síochána
- The Chief Fire Officer’s Association
- The National Directorate for Fire and Emergency Management
- The Irish Prison Service
- The Defence Forces
- Civil Defence
- The Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council
- The Irish Coast Guard
- Health Service Executive National Ambulance Service
It is also open to drivers nominated by the Voluntary and Private Emergency Services Organisations.
What is the purpose of ESDS?
Creating a culture of safe and responsible driving is essential for reducing deaths and casualties on Irish roads.
The Emergency Services Driving Standard aims to develop and sustain a spirit of cooperation, caution and courtesy in emergency service drivers. Emergency service drivers should aim to achieve an excellent standard of driving that acts as an example to other road users.
The main aim of this driving standard is to benefit emergency services drivers and other road users by:
- Reducing the particular risks associated with the driving of emergency service vehicles
- Making sure that patients and passengers are safe and comfortable
- Cultivating the attitude that responding to an emergency should never involve actions which could lead to the death or injury of any person
Two simple steps to book your ESDS Theory Test
Please be advised that it is your responsibility to book the correct Theory Test category as this cannot be changed at the test centre.
Test Centre Locations
There are over forty Driver Theory Test locations throughout the Republic of Ireland. You can choose a Test Centre that is most convenient to you.
Please note that available appointment times may vary between Test Centres – you will be able to select your Test Centre and view its current appointment times at the online booking service.
See a full list of test centre locations and addresses: DTT Test Centre Location Map (PDF, 3mb).
- The ESDS Theory Test acknowledgement email
- Identification – All Passports (valid for international use only or up to maximum 12 months expired) or a full Irish Driving Licence in any category or one from an EU/EEA Member State or from Switzerland. Only valid (in date) and original documents will be accepted.
- To book an ESDS Theory Test, you will need the eligibility number as provided by the ESDS unit.
- Ensure you follow the instructions clearly when entering your details during the booking process.
- You must ensure you use your full name as displayed on your Identification when making your booking.
- Spelling of the name on the identification with which you book your test must match the spelling of your name on the Identification exactly that you will present at the test centre.
- All candidates must present their identification with some test categories requiring additional ID.
- Should you require Assistance or language facility options please refer to our Test Day Assistance/Support section.
- Please Note: Candidates must schedule their exam using an Irish address. Candidates who have scheduled their exam using an address outside of the Republic of Ireland will not be allowed to test and will lose their fee. (To apply for an Irish Learner Permit or Driver Licence candidates must provide proof of an address in the Republic of Ireland)
Once you have carefully read through the steps required to schedule your ESDS Theory Test, you may proceed to complete your booking in real time and receive immediate on-screen and email/letter confirmation.
Residency entitlement requirement to apply for a learner permit or driving licence:
You must be able to prove that you are a national of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland or have leave to remain in Ireland to be eligible to apply for a learner permit or driving licence.
Please read the full list of documents which can be accepted as evidence of residency entitlement to apply for a learner permit or driving licence.