The official RSA Driver Theory Test
Policy & Customer Charter
Policy & Customer Charter
The Official Driver Theory Test service is operated by Prometric Ireland Ltd. on behalf of the Road Safety Authority (RSA). It is part of the RSA’s driver licensing and testing process designed to help both new and experienced drivers be safe, courteous and informed road users.
Our aim is to provide a professional, efficient and courteous testing experience that meets the needs of the driving public by providing our customers with:
- 24 hour online booking and information service.
- Telephone booking and information service available Monday to Friday from 8AM to 6PM (excluding public holidays).
- Flexible payment options online or via telephone.
- Purpose built, candidate friendly and easily accessible Test Centres.
- Test Centres with flexible opening times.
- Disabled access at all our Test Centres.
- Lockers for securely storing your belongings during your theory test.
- Clean, smoke free and safe reception, waiting areas and testing rooms.
- Toilet facilities (one of which is suitable for disabled persons).
Standards of service
When you come into contact with our Test Centre staff, they will:
- Display the highest levels of courtesy and respect.
- Handle your requirements promptly.
- Show sensitivity, patience and understanding in dealing with any issues you may have.
- Provide you with their name when asked – Test Centre staff carry a photo ID badge at all times.
We aim to:
- Provide a high quality, reliable Driver Theory Test service.
- Accept bookings online, via telephone and by post.
- Give candidates with special needs, who cannot complete their internet booking, a call back within 24 hours – where the booking is outside of a working day, the call back will be on the next working day.
- Acknowledge all candidate emails within 2 working days.
- Offer appointments to 94% of candidates at the Test Centre of their choice within 2 weeks of their preferred date.
- Offer testing sessions fortnightly at fixed Test Centres with at least one weekday (9AM to 5PM), one evening (5PM to 7.15PM) and one Saturday (9AM to 5PM), excluding public holidays.
- Offer testing sessions at least one Saturday (9AM to 5PM) per month at mobile Test Centres and, for mobile Test Centres with less than 250 theory tests per annum, at least every 2 months and once on a weekday, once on a weekend evening and once on a weekend at least every 6 months.
- Send a test appointment confirmation in writing or via e-mail within 5 working days if you require special arrangements.
- Answer 80% of calls processed by the automatic Candidate Services line within 30 seconds.
- Issue all refunds and any compensation within 10 working days of receipt of a valid claim or determination that refund should be made.
- Provide an average candidate waiting time before commencement of test of no more than 15 minutes.
- Provide a Pass Certificate, where applicable, to successful candidates at the end of the theory test
- Provide candidates who fail a theory test with information in writing about general topic areas of weakness – this applies specifically to Driver Theory Tests for categories A, B, C, D, CD, BMT & TMT.
- If it is necessary for Prometric to cancel a test appointment for any reason we will provide you with at least 5 working days notice and offer you a new appointment within 5 working days of the test date (this provision is applicable during normal administration and operation of the DTT service and will not apply in the case of instruction from Government authorities restricting the delivery of the DTT service in connection with the COVID-19 Pandemic. This provision applies to appointments booked after 10 November 2020).
- If Prometric provide less than 5 working days notice of a cancelled test appointment we will offer you a free appointment and provide compensation equal to 50% the test fee (this provision is applicable during normal administration and operation of the DTT service and will not apply in the case of instruction from Government authorities restricting the delivery of the DTT service in connection with the COVID-19 Pandemic. This provision applies to appointments booked after 10 November 2020).
- Details of our Compensation Scheme are available at each Test Centre.
- We strive to continually improve our services and in particular, we aim to provide test appointments in a prompt and efficient manner.
Listening to you
We are always happy to hear what you think about our service and ideas for how we can improve it. We consult with representative organisations to advise them on our performance and listen and implement any views or comments made. We welcome your comments both complimentary and critical. Feedback forms are available at each Test Centre.
Keeping you informed
We tell customers in advance about changes regarding:
- Test procedures that may affect them
- Test Centre locations and opening hours
- Applicable test fees
- Test preparation publications aimed at preparing candidates for their test
- If things go wrong
Where our service has not been as good as you expected, we want to know so that we can do something about it and get it right next time. If you have a complaint please make this known at your Test Centre or call our Candidate Services Team on 1890 606 406 or e-mail us at email@example.com. Alternatively, you can write to our Candidate Services Manager at: Driver Theory Test, PO Box 15, Dundalk, Co. Louth.
We will co-operate with individuals or organisations that act for you. Our Candidate Services Manager will be pleased to help you with information about a particular issue or difficulty.
- Regularly check that all complaints are dealt with promptly
- Examine trends in case we need to make any changes
Decisions about your test
If you think that we have made the wrong decision, speak to our Test Centre Administrator or Manager before leaving you’re the centre and request that we re-mark your theory test.
- Appeal, in writing, within 10 working days of your exam
- Provide a cheque/postal order of €15.00 as a service fee
When we get your appeal, we will re-mark your theory test and give you the result within 5 working days.
Our Candidate Services Team will conduct the re-marking of your theory test. If it is found that the original marking was wrong we will:
- Issue you with a new Driver Theory Test certificate
- Refund the fee of €15.00